Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Whoaaaa Baby, What a Deal!: Keep Your Grocery Bill Down, Down, Down...

So, today I went to do my weekly grocery shopping at Shaw's, and as I waited in the checkout line, I was secretly praying I wouldn't rack up too much of a bill. Even though I did go for the deals as much as possible, I also got lots of healthy picks, some being organic, so I was kind of expecting the price to be pretty steep. But, to my pleasant surprise, after my Shaw's savings card sweep, the cashier told me it was $21.27. Yep, you heard that right: a mere 21 bucks for everything. 
"Wow, girl! How did you do that?" the cashier said, shocked of my low price. "And it's all healthy! I guess now we don't have an excuse to say that it's impossible to eat healthy for a cheap price."
And she is exactly right.
Now I feel inclined to share with you what I bought today for 21 dollar bills and some change....
2 bananas
+
1 large cucumber
+
1 large zucchini
+
1 medium sweet potato
+
1 package of lactose free American Cheese (Veggie Cheese)
+
2 lb. bag of baby carrots (on sale for 2.50 from 3.50)
+
One large bag of a dozen macintosh apples (on sale for 1.99 from 3.99)
+
1/4 lb. Sara Lee Chicken Breast
+
One box of Gluten Free, Wheat Free Buckwheat Waffles
+
One dozen large white eggs
=one sweet price of 21.27


3 comments:

Marissa said...

I love you and your blog and your views... you are one rockin' bean town babe.

chercroce said...

Way to go, Rachel! Good choices and good prices...:)

KristenPao said...

can you be my personal grocery shopper?