Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What's a Nutcake?



As you know, I absolutely love anything and everything local. Forget brand names and packaged foods with more than 100 ingredients. EW. Local food artisans are so much more interesting...and they make tastier products. Seriously, you should see me when I walk into Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or a local Farmer's Market. I'm like a little kid on Christmas morning...walking around with eyes bigger than my head and a grumbling stomach. I want to taste everything; I want to taste it ALL. From wineries and cheese producers to homemade breads and ooey gooey brownies, local is totally the way to go.

Today at work we discovered Effie's Homemade, a local company crafting up biscuit-like cookies out of Hyde Park, MA. Two life-long friends (Joan Maclsaac and Irene Costello) started the company in honor of Joan's mom Effie and her amazing Oatcakes recipe. And there you have it: Effie's Homemade was born, baking up fresh, simple oatcakes, corncakes 'n' nutcakes daily! These tasty gems beat a cookie any old day...serve the biscuits with tea, a piece of cheese or enjoy as a light, tasty snack any time of the day! Better yet, the ingredients are fresh and simple so you don't even have to feel guilty about it.

You can purchase at many local MA stores, several Whole Foods and online. Visit their website for more info!

No comments: