Thursday, August 26, 2010

The "Mini-Vacation" (and why you should take them)


I have to be honest: Ever since I left my full time job, I've pretty much been living the life. So far since I've been home, I've dyed my hair, attended a wedding, went out to dinner at least three times with my family, went to an authentic Lobster Bake on Fisher's Island, saw Phantom of the Opera with my family and today am going to the beach with my dad for some tanning (finally). Granted, this isn't going to last forever. Once I go back to Boston Monday it's time to crack down on my writing and my books, but still, it's pretty sweet.

The original plan for this week was a trip to Cape Cod for tanning, nice hotels and delicious dinners. However, the weather didn't really cooperate, so we made do. And I couldn't be more happy with our decision. These "mini-vacations" (I like to call them) are absolutely fabulous, especially for families, young professionals, and busy bees. Think about it: instead of taking a week off of work (or life), you can take little bits of hours here and there instead. I hear so many people complaining that they never get a vacation, and would die for a couple weeks to themselves. Well, I'm here to tell you that vacation is just around the corner, no matter how busy or chaotic your life is!

Next time you get out of work early, take your husband and kids to a nice dinner somewhere by the shore, followed by some good, authentic ice cream. Or maybe take off and go mini golfing or go-carting to change it up a bit. Have some time on your lunch break? Escape the office for a mani/pedi with your sister, your mom or even yourself! If you have a free weekend, do something crazy like taking a day trip to Martha's Vineyard or Cape Cod (if you're from the North), or going for a long hike with the family. If you're a single working gal, grab a bunch of your pals (men and women) and hit the mountains for a mini camping trip fully equipped with tents, S'mores and yummy food for the grill.

It doesn't matter what you do. The point is that we all deserve a little vacation once in a while, and these "mini vacations" are perfect for anyone's schedule. So clear a few hours and watch what a little trip can do for your attitude, your mind and your overall happiness!

XoXo,

The Healthy Chick

No comments: