Monday, August 23, 2010

Be Creative & Colorful With Your Food!

I'm often asked many questions when it comes to fitness, diet and healthy cooking. Today I was asked on my website what the best options are at the grocery store for healthy cooking that'll ensure a good look by next weekend. Then there's my sister who would call me nearly every week when she was in college asking what the "best" or "right" choices are for her meals.

While I'd give her (and many others) my two cents plus some nutritional wisdom, the thing is: there is no RIGHT choice when it comes to what you put on your plate. Sure some options are much better choices than others, but it's oh so much fun to experiment and try new things, rather than go with the usual boring "health foods." What's the fun in same old, same old? Spice it up with a little variety, girl! Instead of loading up on bananas and apples like you do every weekend, buy oranges, grapefruits or berries that are on sale. Tired of the usual rice pilaf? Mix it up with long grain or brown rice with some olive oil and fresh herbs, or substitute a hearty sweet potato for your usual starchy go-to choice. Eat grilled chicken every. single. night? Purchase some fresh salmon or tuna to saute or bake in the oven! Liven up your salads with pretty colors by adding mandarin oranges, berries, avocado, egg whites, sugar snap peas or edamame. And add some spice and zing to your food with garlic, chili powder, red pepper flakes, cumin, cilantro and any other herbs/spices that intrigue you!

Sometimes I buy new, fun things just to try them out and change things up a bit. For instance, they other day I bought fresh corn because it was on sale and some pineapple, even though that's not a usual staple for my weekly grocery list. I also purchased some fresh dill because I was making homemade salmon and didn't want to use the usual dried dill flakes; I wanted to make it special. Lesson learned: variety is the key to a healthy, balanced, delicious diet!

What are some funky, delicious recipes you've created by adding a little variety?

No comments: