Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Little Bite Goes a Long Way


I have a confession: Sometimes when I go into Dunkin' Donuts for my morning coffee, I ask for one munchkin. Yes just one chocolate glazed munchkin donut. (They usually give it to me for free.) And sometimes I just take one nibble of it and throw it out, but boy does it satisfy my sweet tooth. I also tend to pick at pizza (I nibble at the pepperoni or cheese), burgers, nachos, and other such indulgences.

Don't get me wrong: if I want the whole thing, I'm going to eat it. However, if I'm not that hungry or know something is going to upset my stomach later on (I am supposed to stay away from wheat after all), I settle for a bite or two and move on. My parents and friends used to make fun of me, calling me a "bird" because I pick and nibble at things. However, that's not really the case. Boy, CAN I EAT, when it's something nutritious, energizing, tasty and satisfying...when it's something I'll enjoy to the fullest. However, when I just want a little, teensy weensy bite of something, I really don't see a reason for eating the whole damn thing. Who cares if other people will judge you. If you just want a bite of the burger or don't want the bread, so be it. If you want the whole steak, FINE...go for it girl. Get what YOU want, and don't be afraid to pick 'n' choose or not finish your plate.

I thought about this today and realized the whole just-a-bite-of-the-donut method holds true in many aspects of life. If you aren't ready to run a full three miles, run the first two and walk one. Hey, it's better than staying inside on the couch saying "I can't do it." If you're ready to make a big change but don't think moving to a new city is right for you at the moment, get involved in some new clubs or redecorate your house. Do you see what I'm getting at? So many of us think we have to go all or nothing, but that's not the least bit true. So go ahead: take a bite of that munchkin with your next iced coffee or walk that second lap. And don't worry about what anyone thinks of you.

No comments: