Sunday, August 15, 2010

SoWa Open Market: The Perfect End to My Weekend



Today my sister and I ventured into South Boston for SoWa Open Market: Boston's Original Art and Indie Design Market. While at first we complained on our never-ending, mile (plus some) walk from Arlington Station, I think it's safe to say it was totally worth it! And also safe to say that we probably needed that walk anyway considering the amount of food we consumed this weekend. Hey, walking is the perfect detox.

Anyway, back to the point. I don't know how I've lived in Boston for nearly a year and have yet to visit this lovely Sunday tradition.
The two of us casually walked around the market, browsing a variety of artwork, homemade gadgets, local produce, and clothing lines. I felt like I was in creative heaven. It absolutely blew my mind to see all the unique, inspiring homemade creations, from personalized dog collars and signature greeting cards to beautiful jewelry and recycled beer bottles turned into artwork. "SO COOL!" I thought. "We really need more creative people in this world."

As if these homemade gadgets weren't; enough to make me fall in love with SoWa, then came the food! There were a variety of breads and baked goods (including gluten free sandwiches), fruit and vegetables from local farms, fresh ground coffee, hummus galore, and cheese spreads. There was even a guy selling his signature " Sailor's Swagger Pineapple Hot sauce," which my sister loved so much that she ended up buying a $6 bottle for my dad.


Although I didn't end up buying anything myself, it was a great way to meet people, get out in the city and sample a variety of local goods! The hot sauce was amazing, the hummus was fresh and delicious and the people were bright and friendly! I highly recommend you take a trip here yourself for an inspiring, creative, sunny day in the city.

Hope you all had a lovely, healthy, wholesome weekend!

No comments: