Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tid Bit of the Day: Lower your portion sizes!


Today, when talking to my younger sister about following a healthy diet, I realized something. While my sister eats much "worse" than me when it comes to food, she has one very important thing down pat: controlling her portions. 

Basically, she eats whatever she wants but downsizes everything. She explained to me that she loads up of greens, whole grains and fruits, and that if her roommates are making brownies, ya, she's going to have one, but just one

Then there's me, eating healthy meals such as ground lean turkey burger and snacking on whole raw almonds. But all the while, I'm sitting here constantly envying those people that can eat whatever they want and not gain a pound. Well, now I know their secret. They never overdue it.

So, here are some tips for those of you who are a lot like me to help you control your portions:

1. Pre-package snacks in a plastic baggy with the recommended or reasonable portion size (14 baby carrots, 20 almonds, 1 sliced apple,etc.) This will help you have a healthy snack on the go and not worry about eating the whole box!

2. Portion out meats ahead of time: Freeze portions of turkey burger or chicken so that they don't go old in the fridge and you don't eat the whole serving at once! If you buy Jenny-Os lean turkey burger, try splitting the portion into 4 and storing it in the freezer. Then you can get 4 dinners for the price of one!

3. Brush your teeth: If you find that you absolutely can't stop eating even though you've had more than enough and are starting to feel full, brush your teeth and know that means "I'm done for the night." Some people also chew gum, sip tea with lemon or have a taste of something really sour to signal their body (and mouth) to STOP. 
 

No comments: