Sunday, April 19, 2009

Coffee no more?

So, as you may already know, I am obsessed with the newest trends in health and fitness, constantly flipping through articles and finding the newest health foods and recipes.

And for the most part, I consider myself a healthy girl: I don't smoke, I drink a gallon of water a day and I eat 3 balanced meals and 2 healthy snacks per day. On top of that, I rarely allow myself to "cheat" and I exercise nearly every day. 

Healthy, right? Just about. I left out the fact that I consume a cup or two of coffee every morning after my breakfast. Yes, I've read that coffee really does have health benefits such as lowering chances of some cancers, and can be OK if you drink it in moderation, the real question is: do I really need it?

Before I came to college, I went 18 years without a trace of coffee in my body, so why now, 4 years later, do I rely on it each and every day? I realized the other day, I had become addicted, and I wasn't happy with myself.

For the first time, I took a long look at myself and realized I wasn't being all that healthy after all. 

So, this week I made a promise to myself: absolutely no coffee. Yes, I may experience headaches or mood swings, but I think in the long run I am helping myself and my body. 

I'll keep you updated on how it goes. But, ta-ta-for-now java!

No comments: