Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sweet Ideas: Healthier Ways to Tame That Sweet Tooth

So, the other day over lunch my friend and I began chatting about that inevitable, uncontrollable desire that comes upon us after each meal for something sweet
Every time I finish a hearty meal, I rush to the fridge or pantry for some chocolate chips, peanut butter or anything sweet I can get my hands on. After all, who wants that icky taste of fish, meat or veggies in their mouth leftover from dinner?
While most of the time I have my cravings under control, sometimes they can get just a tad out of hand. . . and that's exactly why I want to help you all. 
Below you'll find 8 healthier tasty ideas to tame that post-meal sweet tooth...and the best part is you still get to eat!

1. Sliced apple sprinkled with cinnamon and a drizzle of honey/agave syrup
2. 1 oz. dark chocolate or small handful (10-15) Ghirardelli 60% Cacao bittersweet chips
3. Mini bag of Trader Joe's Lite Kettle Corn (1 bag has only 110 calories) or make your own sweet 'n' salty fix by popping a bag of all natural, fat free popcorn and sprinkling it with a dash of salt and real sugar. (None of that fake stuff!)
4. Sliced banana dipped in cocoa powder or cinnamon
5. Handful dried fruit 'n' nuts, or no more than a measured 1/4 cup if you can't control yourself!
6. 1/4 cup frozen berries with 1-2 TB light cool whip
7. Grapefruit or orange wedges-perfectly sweet on their own (Think: soccer practice/game days!)
8. Cup of herbal, black or green tea with a dollop of honey, or make my favorite late night "latte" treat. Heat 1 cup organic, light plain or vanilla soy milk in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes in a microwavable mug. Place tea bag in mug (flavor of choice, but a chai based, cinnamon or black tea would taste best) and brew for 4 minutes. Remove bag, and add 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1 tsp nutmeg, stir and enjoy : )

No comments: