Thursday, June 24, 2010

Natural Ways to Mend a Cold



So after an extremely fun weekend with my girlfriends in DC, I inevitably was cursed with a terrible cold: sore throat, runny nose, headache, sore body, stuffiness, the whole gamut. While all I've wanted to do the past few days was pop massive amounts of Advil and hibernate away in my bed, I knew that was neither healthy nor rational. After all, my family (especially my mom) has always been a fan of natural remedies, so I decided to give it a try and low and behold I am 100% better (few).

Below, find some natural remedies I use when I feel a cold coming on, or it's too late and I'm already full blown sick. Trust me, they work. . . give it a shot!

1. Drink Massive Amounts of H20: I mean massive, not your typical 6-8 glasses. The past few days, I straight up guzzled Nalgene after Nalgene. When you drink lots of water, you pee more and rid your body of all those nasty toxins. It's a surefire, no fail way to detoxify your bod, and I swear by it each and every time. Not that you shouldn't be drinking a heck of a lot of water anyway, but when you're feeling under the weather it's extra important to stay hydrated!

2. Juice Up: Anything fruity works. Chug down a glass of OJ with breakfast, and have a juicy pear with lunch. Berries, watermelon, cantaloupe and anything with lots of water is best. Not only does fruit juice contain massive amounts of antioxidants, but it's also loaded with good-for-you vitamins like Vitamin C!

3. Remember to Eat: I don't know about you, but whenever I'm sick, I either lose my appetite or forget to eat 'cause of all the sleeping/sneezing I've been doing. Don't fall into that habit! Make sure to eat a little something throughout the day, even if it's just a piece of fruit or dry toast and jelly...whatever your tummy can handle. We need food for energy, and without that fuel how do you expect to get yourself better? I loaded up on fresh fruit, applesauce, yogurt toast and oatmeal to stay energized throughout the day; bland food tends to work best for me when I'm sick but go with whatever you're craving, and stop when you're full.

4. Vitamins, Vitamins, Vitamins: It's good to take your daily women's vitamin every day anyway. But when you're run down, it's especially vital for your health. Not only did I take my usual Women's Daily and Fish Oil, but I also chewed on Vitamin C tablets and Zinc lozenges to send me on my way to health, and help keep me perky throughout the day. The Zinc lozenges also works wonders for a sore throat, and you can take them frequently throughout the day.

5. Don't Overdo It: One of the reasons I got sick in the first place is because even though I felt a cold coming on at the beginning of the week, I dragged my butt to a Boot Camp Class anyway. Not only did I feel tired, sore, and worn out after, but I woke up feeling absolutely miserable the next day. Why? Because I wasn't listening to my body. Just 'cause you're a Healthy Chick doesn't mean you need to work out every single day. Give your body a break and listen to what it needs. After all, it's the only body we've got so treat it well! Then when you get back to health, you can continue training for that half marathon. Now is not the time, my friend.

6. Get Your Sleep: Go to bed early, even if you feel like an old grandma. Sip on a glass of chamomile tea with honey and hit the sack a few hours before your usual bedtime, and trust me: you'll wake up much more refreshed. Sure, maybe you won't be completely better in the morning but you'll feel a heck of a lot better than if you stayed up 'til midnight.

No comments: