Monday, August 31, 2009

Live Like the City Gals

So, for those of you that don't know, I will be moving to Boston this Wednesday to start the next chapter of my life i.e. "the real world." While I am a little bit nervous and anxious, I am ultimately ecstatic about the whole situation of starting something new, and am looking forward to the many experiences I will have.

But, that's merely background information. The real reason for this post is that while moving some of my stuff into my apartment yesterday in Boston, I noticed how active and healthy everyone seemed to be around there. Seriously, the majority of people I passed on the street were either walking, biking or running along the sidewalks.

Immediately, I got a jolt of excitement. After all, healthy people inspire me and it made me all the more excited to move there in two days!

While city-life sometimes gets a bad rap, most of the time it's the city people who know how to do things right. Look at  New-Yorkers for example. Every time I go to New York, I admire the healthy, strong woman I see walking down the street. Even in business attire and heels, they all just seem so confident, healthy and content with their life. 

Also in New York, there are healthy restaurants lining the streets, made up of little cafes left and right serving up phenomenal options like gourmet salads and grilled chicken and fish entrees. When I visited the city last week, I ordered a phenomenal salad of spinach, grilled chicken, mangoes and avocados with a light raspberry vinegarette, which was absolutely to-die-for!

Anyway, enough about my delicious salad. The point is that everytime I visit these bigger cities (I'm from a smaller farm town by the way), I instantly become jealous, asking myself "Why can't everyone live like that?"

Well, the question is, why can't we? Just because many of us aren't from a fun, hip exercise-aholics filled city doesn't mean we can't learn from them and incorporate little things into our lifestyle.

Here, alas, is a list of things you can do (no matter where you're from) to live like a true city gal:

1. Walk, as much as you can, whenever you can. This includes walking to class, the grocery store, or to a local restaurant in your town. Walking doesn't always have to be just for exercise. It's actually a great way to incorporate into your everyday lifestyle, and you won't even realize you are exercising. If it's impossible to walk somewhere, drive and park your car farther away to get that extra stride in. Be creative!

2. Check out local cafes: Do some research online or ask around. There are plenty of restaurants that are now "going green," "going organic," or "going vegan." It just takes a little time and research to find out which ones are actually worthwhile. I love the cute, off the main drag, antique-looking cafes that always have a fun crowd in them 24/7! You know, the one's that serve up little apps like hummus and pitta or bruschetta. Those types are my absolute favorite places to dine! Once I get up to Boston, I'll point some yummy ones out for you to check out!

3. Hit up Your Local Farmers Market: This is a great way to support your local community, and at the same time get some fresh, delicious veggies and fruits for the week!

4. Be confident: From my observations, "city chicks" always seem more confident, or at least carry themselves that way. I know it's semi-stereotypical but it's also semi-true. So smile more, walk standing up straight and talk like you mean it. Don't be afraid to share your opinion, state your mind or even ask for that cute guys phone number at the bar!

5. Keep Yourself Busy: City people are always busy, busy, busy! And just because you live in a rural area doesn't mean there isn't city-qualities to pick up on. Get out and explore what your town or neighboring towns has to offer! Check out local museums, hiking trails or anything to keep you busy. Because trust me on this one: when you are busy, you don't have time to think and being occupied makes you a whole lot happier. 

So go out there and give it a try: Live like a city girl for a day, maybe a week or the whole year if ya feel up to it! Really, it's easier to do than you may think. 

No comments: