Friday, November 28, 2008

Eat what you love...and move on with it


I’ve always been a healthy eater. Hence, when I do choose to have a treat or something “bad” for me, I naturally feel guilty about it later. I say to myself, “Why did I HAVE to eat that?” or
“Why couldn’t I have just grabbed some fruit instead if I was still hungry?”

But the thing is: the times I did force myself to hold back, I never felt fulfilled. I just knew there was something missing.

Therefore, this Thanksgiving I decided to treat myself, but not overload. Rather, I would treat myself to the dishes I absolutely needed to have, those that I truly love. You know those to-die-for dishes you look forward to each and every year. And of course, I loaded up on my dad’s delicious protein filled turkey as usual.

But, I skipped the fat laden string bean casserole this year ‘cause yes, it’s good and all, but do I truly love it? I decided, no, my taste buds (and stomach) could do without it this Turkey Day. And I also passed on the mashed potatoes, and chose sweet potatoes instead-just as fulfilling with a sweet, healthy touch as well.

And at last, I took a nice reasonable scoop of my aunt’s famous broccoli casserole. While it may be loaded with cheddar cheese and bread crumbs, it’s something I anticipate every year, and there would be no way I’d deprive myself of that joy.

For dessert, I treated myself to two mini chocolate coconut macaroons and the teeniest sliver of pumpkin pie cheese cake (just enough to saver the taste). And that was it: I was finished and satisfied.

The best thing about this year’s Thanksgiving was that I didn’t feel an ounce of guilt. Yes, I felt a little bloated, but I felt pleasantly full and knew I’d get back on the healthy track the next day.
So, the lesson learned is that it’s very well possible to treat yourself to what you love, and still feel good about every bite you take, on every occasion-not just Thanksgiving.
And the funniest part is that I was too busy enjoying my "treats" and being happy, that I was actually 2 pounds less this morning! Funny how things work how when you’re not stressing over food…

No comments: