Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Go Shirataki!


Craving pasta but don't wanna pack on 600+ calories in one bowl? Don't fear! The new, hip thing out there in grocery stores is shirataki noodles. Found in both fettucini and spaghetti style, these "noodles" are only 40 calories for the entire 8 oz. pack! Quite the cal deal, huh?

Shirataki noodles are low-carb Japanese noodles, composed of lots of fiber and water. While they don't have much flavor by themselves, you can top them with anything-marinara sauce, pesto, tomato and basil, Alfredo sauce...the list goes on and on. 

I'm having shirataki noodles tonight, with lemon, olive oil, herbs and some roasted red pepper and onions, so we shall see how it goes. I'm excited, since I have an allergy to gluten and bakers yeast and usually have to avoid pasta. However, now I have my own little substitute, for hundreds less cals!

So, try 'em out and see how you like them...Could be your new cooking essential!

No comments: