Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Bikini Season is a Comin'! Don't Worry, No Crazy Diets This Year. . .
Bikini season is here and that means lookin' and feelin' sexy in teeny bikini's, little bitty shorts and cutesy dresses! This year, I will not even consider the dreaded four letter word D-I-E-T. There will be none of that nasty Cayenne pepper juice that the celebrities use, and no cabbage soup (ew). Dieting is for those going on spring break who want to drop 15 pounds for the big vacay, and then gain back 30 with all the beer and crappy food. No, that's not very "Healthy Chick"-like.
Instead, we healthy chicks want to focus on sculpting sexy muscles, toning our bods and burning fat. Looking beautiful and shiny and glowing on the outside and feeling even more beautiful and shiny and glowing on the inside.
That's why this year, I researched foods to help build muscle and burn fat. I came across this lovely article called "20 Super Foods You Need to Build Muscle and Lose Fat" at StrongLifts.com, and thought it was only fair to share it with you.
After reading this, you'll definitely want to stock your fridge with these magical fat burners! Here goes:
1. Whole Eggs: Yup, turns out you don't have to eat those "Egg Beaters" or all Egg Whites after all. The yolk has tons of nutrients and protein. Just don't go eating 5 eggs a day, and you'll be good to go!
2. Fish Oil: Phenomenal for your skin, hair nails and bod! It also reduces inflammation (bye bye bloat and puffy eyes!) I take supplements, but you can also get your fish oil from fatty fish as well.
3. Wild Salmon: Tons of good for you Omega 3's and oh so yummy!
4. Berries: Blueberries, Blackberries, Cranberries, Strawberries. You name it-berries. Berries are packed with antioxidants and have a naturally sweet taste! Buy fresh or frozen and add to oatmeal, yogurt or just snack on 'em plain.
5. Yogurt: Go Greek, and get the plain low fat kind. No, Go-gurt and Fruit-at-the-bottom sugary kinds doesn't count ladies! But that doesn't mean you can't sweeten your plain kind with agave syrup or berries!
6. Flax Seeds: Protein, Omega 3s, and all! Grind them to get the most of 'em or use flax seed oil!
7. E.V.O.O: Yup, Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Add this to salads, saute your veggies in it, and be creative with it!
8. Mixed Nuts: Go nutty with almonds, walnuts, peanuts, etc! Just aim for the natural nuts without added salt and sugar. That will just backfire the whole concept of the nuts.
9. Red Meat: I know many are afraid of it, but a top road or sirloin burger or steak won't hurt you once in a while. Just keep your portions in check, and don't eat it every day. Red meat actually is loaded with protein, vitamin B12, iron and zinc.
10. Broccoli: I like to coat mine with garlic, olive oil, lemon and a dash of Parmesan cheese.
11. Spinach: Learn from Popeye and go for this miracle veggie! It prevents muscle and bone loss, also containing tons of nutrients to prevent cancer and other diseases.
12. Turkey: Go lean! Make sandwiches with lean cold cuts or chop up ground turkey in your pasta or veggie dishes.
13. Quinoa: It's not only gluten free, but also packed with fiber and protein. You can add quinoa to soup, make a veggie stir-fry with it, or simply eat it plain. Eat it as you would rice (just with wayyyy shorter cooking time!)
14. Oats: This wonderful breakfast reduces cholesterol, and fills you up with good carbs and tons of energy. Sprinkle your morning oatmeal with flax seeds and cinnamon and enjoy!
15. Tomatoes: Top on homemade pizza, wraps, salads, or omelets!
16. Oranges: Yup, we all remember them from soccer practice. Now, it turns out they actually are great for your bod, contain loads of vitamin C, and phenomenal antioxidants. Eat oranges plain, just as you did back in your soccer days.
17. Apples: They may not keep the doctor away, but they help weight loss by filling you up. I love dipping my apples in almond butter or sprinkling them with cinnamon!
18. Carrots: Rich in fiber AND low in calorie. Dip these wonder veggies in hummus or eat raw.
19. Water: Your body needs water to digest and process all this good-for-you food. Drink 2 cups of water with each meal, and throughout the day.
20. Green Tea: After your morning coffee, switch to Green Tea. It speeds up fat loss and protects the body against cancer and other scary diseases!
Posted by Rachel at 6:07 AM